Back to Home
Helping Virginians Attain Quality, Affordable Housing
Follow Us LinkedIn Facebook YouTube RSS Feed Twitter Virginia Housing Blog Instagram
Text Size: A- A  A+ | Text Only | Print Print

Renter Frequently Asked Questions

expand Can I keep HUD Section 8 assistance if I move? 
It depends on what type of Section 8 assistance you have. If you have a Housing Choice Voucher, you have “portability” and may move to another housing community that accept vouchers and continue receiving assistance based on your income. If you are occupying an apartment in a housing community that has a Project-based Section 8 contract on the property and you decide to leave, you will not have Section 8 assistance to take with you because the assistance is tied directly to the unit at that property.
expand What is a PHA and what is its role?  
expand What is an HFA and what is its role?  

HFA is an acronym for Housing Finance Agency. HFAs are authorities chartered by a state's government to assist that state's residents with their affordable housing needs. Characteristics of HFAs vary widely throughout the country, but most of them are independent agencies that operate under the direction of a board of directors that are appointed by the governor.

HFAs administer a large variety of affordable housing and community development programs within their respective state. Services include (but are not limited to):

  • Providing affordable mortgages for first time home buyers.
  • Financing the development and/or rehabilitation of low and moderate income apartments.
  • Administering and monitoring of both federal and state housing programs (i.e. the Federal Section 8 program in partnership with HUD and the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit program).
expand What is HUD and what is its role?  
expand What is portability? 

Portability is a housing choice voucher holder's right to rent a place to live outside of your initial housing agency's jurisdiction. Because the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) wants to broaden housing choices for families and assist you in paying your rent, the rental unit can be anywhere in the United States where there is a housing agency operating a Housing Choice Voucher program.

Potential benefits of portability include:

  • Relocation for job opportunities
  • Selection of the best school districts
  • Closer proximity to other family members
  • Greater access to public services, child care providers and/or shopping.

Contact your local voucher housing agency to inquire about portability with your voucher.

expand What is the number to Fair Housing?  
expand What is Virginia Housing’s role in tax credit properties in Virginia?  
Virginia Housing is the housing credit agency in Virginia responsible for administering this federal program including allocating the credits to developers and monitoring for file and on-site physical compliance.
expand Where can I find affordable housing? 
expand Who should I contact if I have questions about rental vouchers administered by Virginia Housing? 
For information on the Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCVP), please call Virginia Housing customer service toll free at 877-VHDA-123.

Contact Us

Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCVP)

Toll-Free: 1-800-835-6598
Fax: 804-343-8385

Customer Service

Toll Free: 877-VHDA-123
Local: 804-782-1986


Virginia Relay

In Virginia: 711
Toll Free: 800-828-1140


Virginia Housing Fraud, Waste or Abuse Hotline

Phone: 804-915-3146
Website: Reporting Fraud, Waste or Abuse