Before you look at houses to buy, your first steps should be:
- Attending VHDA's free Homeownership class.
- Finding out what you need to know about your personal finances.
- Learning how to create a personal spending plan that works for you and your goals.
Role of the Lender
This is the second step in your goal to buy a home and includes:
- Choosing a lender to help you in applying for a mortgage loan.
- Understanding why pre-approval of your loan is a critical part of the process.
Mortgage Loan Application
Working With Your Real Estate Agent
Your next step, choosing a real estate professional to help your home search, includes:
- Learning how to pick the right agent to work with you.
- Working with your agent to find the house that best fits your needs and price range.
House Evaluation Worksheet
Getting a Home Inspection
It's difficult to stay objective and unemotional about the house you really want, and this can affect your judgement. A professional home inspection provides the most accurate information about the condition of a house, so you'll know if you still want to buy it.
Closing Your Mortgage Loan
Your last step, the official signing of the papers that finalizes the deal, is:
- Understanding your options in choosing a professional to close your loan.
- Knowing what legal documents are involved in the closing.
Deed of Trust
NOTE: You will need Adobe’s Acrobat Reader (.pdf), and/or Microsoft Office Software in order to view some of the documents on this page.