Landlords participate by providing a decent, safe living environment for families in neighborhoods. Landlords maintain their property rights, as neither VHDA nor your local housing agency interferes in the resident selection process. You are required to:
- Enforce and comply with the lease.
- Comply with terms of the Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) Contract.
- Maintain dwelling units in accordance to HUD’s Housing Quality Standards (HQS). HQS are HUD’s inspection requirements.
- Make an appointment with the local agency to inspect the property using the Inspection Checklist (Form HUD-52580A).
- Discuss the unit’s condition in order for it to be to approved for occupancy. The unit must meet HQS prior to initial lease-up, and thereafter at least annually. HAP is abated if the landlord fails to make required corrections within the required timeframe.
At least one applicant household member must be a U.S. citizen or have eligible immigration status. Permanent ineligibility applies for the following:
- For as long as any household member is required to register as a sex offender.
- For any household member ever convicted for the manufacture of methamphetamine on the premises of assisted housing.
Family who hold vouchers must:
- Be re-certified at least annually.
- Abide by the lease.
- Report change(s) in household income/composition per program rules.
- Provide truthful information.
- Not engage in illegal drug and/or violent criminal activity.
- Permit the program to conduct necessary unit inspections.
This permits a family with rental assistance to move from one jurisdiction to another jurisdiction. The receiving housing agency determines the maximum subsidy based on their voucher payment standard and has the right to terminate assistance if the family violates a program obligation.
Understanding the Waiting List
Administrative Agents maintain their waiting lists independently from one another and advertise when applications will be accepted. Applicants are placed on the waiting list based upon local preferences and date and time of application.
For information on the number of applicants on each waiting list, the open/close status of the waiting list and agency preference, click here.