VHDA administers the housing choice voucher program in certain jurisdictions throughout Virginia. VHDA has separate waiting lists for each local housing agency that administers the voucher program.
You may apply to any waiting list that is open and accepting applications, but you may only submit one application for each open waiting list. Applications are received online anytime during the acceptance period.
The waiting list does not open to accept applications until the exact date and time identified as the opening date/time. Waiting list Openings are announced in local newspapers and are posted on www.vhda.com at least two weeks before a planned opening.
All of VHDA’s local agencies have a residency preference. Applicants that live/work in the waiting list area, or have been notified to work in the waiting list area, will be placed on the waiting list ahead of applicants who live/work outside of the waiting list area or applicants that do not live in Virginia. The local residency preference will be verified when your name is reached on the waiting list.
Local Residency Example:
Campbell County Waiting List to Open that Serves Campbell County: You apply and you do not live in Campbell County, you will be required to use the voucher to lease a unit in Campbell County for a 12 month period. After the 12 month period, you may take the voucher and move back to your original locality or another locality as long as an HCV Program exists in that locality.
1. Before you begin the application process, please have the social security number (SSN) for the head of household. The SSN is being submitted over a secure environment.
2. It is very important that you provide a correct mailing address/email address, and phone number so the local housing agency can contact you regarding your application. If your contact information is not correct then you will not receive information regarding the program and your name will be removed from the waiting list. You are not required to provide an email address but this is helpful as a contact source. Email is a quick tool to contact you rather than using the postal service for mail delivery.
3. For the purpose of assisting the local housing agency in resolving any issues that may arise during the applicant process or to assist in providing any special care or services you may require, you have the right to include as a part of your application, the name, address, telephone number, and email address of a family member, friend, or social, health, advocacy, or other organization. This is an optional question and it not required to submit your application.
4. Anyone may complete an application on behalf of another applicant.
5. The online application is designed to be quick and easy to complete. You have an initial 20 minutes to submit the application. If more time is needed to complete the application an additional 20 minutes is provided. The clock does not start until you enter your SSN.
6. You should have paper and pen ready to write down a confirmation number provided to you once you have completed the application. This is your notice that you are on the waiting list. Remember to keep your confirmation number for future reference. No letters are mailed to notify you of your placement on the waiting list.
7. If you do not receive a confirmation number after you submit your application, immediately reapply before the application deadline closes. If you do not receive an online confirmation number then, your application was not accepted and your application will not be on the waiting list. If you encounter any problems receiving your confirmation number, please email HCVWaitList@vhda.com before the waiting list closes. Issues reported after the waiting list closes cannot be addressed and your application will not be on the waiting list.
8. Once a voucher becomes available you will be contacted by the local housing agency either by email or by letter. Your eligibility for the voucher assistance will be verified when your name is reached on the waiting list.
9. Please contact the local housing agency for your area if you have questions about the waiting list process or email HCVWaitList@vhda.com.
10. Frequently Asked Questions are also available to provide more information.